It’s important to know about the different tests out there because they offer opportunities in some form or other. Take the example of PSAT. Not many people know about it but it is a very useful test for college bound kids.
Kids take this test in their 11th grade. The scores are used for the following:
- Scholarship screening of National Merit Scholarship Program.
- Recognition of Outstanding Hispanic/Latino students- offered by College Board.
- National Scholarship Service- college preparation guidance for African American kids.
- Telluride Seminar Scholarships- scholarships for gifted 11th grade kids.
- Feedback on SAT preparedness and a study plan- since the pattern is same as SAT.
- Feedback on strengths and weaknesses for SAT- you receive a personalized analysis.
- AP Success Potential- you know if you can do well in Advanced Placement classes (I will write about AP later).
- Online College Planning Starting Guide.
- College Connection- financial aid information.
Kids can test twice, by taking the test once in 10th grade and once in the 11th.